Monday, February 11, 2019

Grandma Mary

On Christmas Eve, we received the news that my Grandma, Mary Samuelsen passed away. She was in hospice care. She had taken a bath and was sleeping, listening to my grandpas opera music. And she passed away in her sleep. She had many complications up to that, alzheimers, lymphoma, etc. 

I knew it was coming but I was still really sad. I love my grandma very much. She was the best grandma. My favorite memories of her include: playing Racko, making cement art stepping stones for her backyard, Cousins Cove sleepovers, reading books, listening to stories about her teaching days and operas, playing dress up, singing Christmas songs upstairs on the grand piano, Norwegian treats, learning how to make pie crusts and eating Velveeta! She was a tough, optimistic lady! She grew up with only her mom and siblings, her dad was murdered by a stranger while on a trip when she was little. I loved reading her mom's letters to her father once he died. 

My grandma and grandpa traveled so many places and I'm grateful they made a book about it! 

I'm glad all of my boys got to meet her!

The funeral was crazy. Josh and I were supposed to attend the Indiana funeral with the baby. Josh's mom was going to watch the big boys. Three days before we were supposed to go, Bennett broke his femur. (Post to come!) So, Josh stayed home with Bennett, I took Nolan and Ellis. My parents helped a lot of the plane! While we were there, Michelle's kids threw up in the car on the way there and Lydia ended up in the hospital overnight! Then, almost everyone else also threw up, including Nolan and I!

The funeral was short and sweet. The hard part was going through my grandma's stuff. I took her Mary's Kitchen sign, and some necklaces. She had a lot of fancy things!

It is hard to think I will never go back to my grandparents' house now that they are both gone. It was such a special place to me growing up! 

It snowed while we were there and church was cancelled and we took the kids sledding! Nolan had so much fun with his cousins. I was sad Josh and Bennett weren't there. 






No comments:

Post a Comment